Saturday, July 22, 2006

Liberal Party meeting in homebush

Dear world,
Today is the 22nd of July 2006.
If you didn’t already know that then you probably have your head in the clouds, that or your reading this tomorrow.
What did I do today, this day of my first blog entry?
Well I woke up rather too early for the holidays (6:31 am) … I have often assumed that people in cities don’t have to get up early to go anywhere like people in the country. But in Sydney (see below for talk of corrupt state Labor party), congestion is so thick that it takes an absolute age to get anywhere.
I was staying in Pyrmont, which is where my mother’s apartment is located. Dad and I drove up last night, I was quite tired, but couldn’t sleep at all, I suppose because I had just had my B12 injection-but more about my fascinating deficiency some other time) which meant that I felt shockingly tired today. So anyway I reckon we left the house at 7:30 am, but I think we arrived at the Novotel at around 8:30 am. ( I love boring people with time and date information) this is the Novotel in Homebush bay mind you (of Olympic fame for any international readers out there) I wonder why the Liberal Party chose it for the conference-the place was incredibly expensive-60$ for an incredibly ordinary breakfast (my parents had a continental and I had a buffet) the food was in fact quite awful! The conference started at 9:30. I had been expecting to get incredibly bored, and had even been conspiring to spend the day in Sydney with my sister eating instead. But Dad was furious about that idea (he had already paid for my lunch) and put a stop to that.
This having been canned, I brought along, possibly the worlds most boring book “Out of Afghanistan” by Diego Cordovez and Selig S. Harrison. On the cover it claims to be the inside story of the Soviet Withdrawal. When I borrowed it from the School library I was expecting a ripping read of the day-to-day adventures of the Afghan Mujahideen. What I got was a very dry account of how skilful diplomacy over a long period of time, caused an eventual withdrawal, which is probably true, but not as interesting as the Mujahideen. I started reading it a week ago and still haven’t finished it.
Back to the topic.
Dad suggested (rather strongly) that it would be a poor reflection on Mum if I read inside the conference centre.
So I ended up listening.
The conference started with us singing the National Anthem, Mum has the most beautiful singing voice.
It was actually very interesting. All the speakers spoke well though I have forgotten some of their names ( I remember Jeaschke though-he had a particularly weak voice). They were funny.
One of the major topics for conversation was the Four Corners program that aired on Monday night. The little old ladies who make up the Liberal Party membership are extremely pissed off.
Another one was the CORRUPTION of the Labor Government. God how we all hate Morris Iemma. His electorate is Lakemba, so the police won’t arrest all the Lebs and Mussos rioting, because he relies on their votes in Preselection and on Polling Day! The political correctness that has infested the police force and the judiciary is starting to get dangerous. Just ask Tegan Wagner

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashfield_gang_rapes

Obviously the biggest problem with the state Labor Government is the rail service. It never comes on time, comes infrequently and sometimes comes not at all.
Then the Prime Minister arrived. He was announced, we all stood up, clapped and cheered, and where then told that he had just been caught on the phone. We all laughed sat down.
Then the MC gave us the number of a woman called Jackie, she’s a state Liberal Member, who is currently on the new show ‘Dancing on Ice’ or something like that, so that we can all vote for her by SMS!!! I forgot to get her number. We all cheered some more.
Then the Prime Minister finally arrived, we cheered and clapped for ages!! I don’t remember him being so popular when I was a child! I guess he grows on people. What a great PM though! His speech was fantastic: he started off talking about the crisis in Lebanon. he said that we were doing all we could to get our citizens out of Lebanon, and that Alexander Downer would have good news to announce later today. (What can we do? our ships are way overhear, and Lebanon is way over there! We’re also in competition with Canada, a much closer country) he went onto to talk about the Middle East in general. He said that there were two things that were absolutely necessary for Peace in the Middle East. One: the acknowledgement of the Right of the State of Israel to exist!! We all cheered at that statement (perhaps I cheered a little too hard, as my parents gestured that I should stop) then the necessity of a Palestinian state. At which there was slightly less cheering I was pleased to note! Everyone cheered when he condemned the terrorist PIGS Hizbollah. Economy, which is going great thanks to his reforms (he just said reforms though) and condemned Kim Beazley for being enslaved by the unions. And went over the incredible corruption of the State Labor Government (Heck- the Labor party in general!) particularly the terrible quality of public transport in N.S.W. it was a great speech-Howard was in his best form. A Lebanese Maronite man asked a bit of a Dorothy Dix about what, the government was doing to get Australian Citizens out of Lebanon. Howard reiterated what he had said before, though perhaps more detailed. And the old Maronite called the Prime Minister, by his old nick name ‘Honest John’ every clapped and cheered when the man said this, the Prime Minister looked especially pleased. A few more questions by a few other people. Especially about the horrible quality of public transport in New South Wales.
There was cheering throughout the PM’s speech.
Then the Prime Minister left. We watched a slideshow by a woman called Gladys (she was an Armenian and her family name was unspellable and unpronounceable) she’s the state Liberal Member for a seat. She presented a slideshow on how to conduct a political campaign. It sounded boring, but the information it contained will be vital for my mother in the future.
By this time it was almost 12:30, because my mother is going to China yet again, she and Dad had to get her bags from the car park, and she took a cab to the airport. The Prime Minister left just after Mum did. While my parents were getting Mum’s bags, I stayed up in the Conference room, watching slideshows, with everyone else:
a Liberal guy trying to get into the Labor seat of Miranda (a man whose name I have forgotten) presented a slideshow on how to win a seat off a sitting Labor member, especially a reasonably competent one like his was. He hasn’t succeeded yet though. For the Liberal Party to get into government on a state level we need to win at least 16 seats-a huge number!! With a Labor Party this corrupt, I reckon it will take at least two rounds, but it could take longer if we have any more scandals. Whilst my parents were away I chatted with Roger Hood, he is in one of the Branches in Epping (obviously not Cherrybrook) and is quite important for Mum’s career.
Then we had lunch in a very ordinary restaurant downstairs… tasteless lasagne, okay chicken, and salads that were just plain awful. The restaurant had been rented out by the Liberal party and was incredibly crowded and had the atmosphere of a School cafeteria, the membership of the Liberal Party being so elderly, this could’ve been quite a novel experience for many people. We sat with a man of eighty, and an overweight woman who hated the Uglies (some sort preselection battle involving herself), her family name was Steiner I think. She said she would support Mum to the hilt.
After Lunch we listened To Peter Debnam give a speech. I was incredibly surprised-everyone (well actually the Media) says that Debnam is a Wuss. He gave a fantastic speech: not only did he talk about the dreadful quality of public transport, and the Political Correctness infesting the Police force, he also talked about the Labor Parties corruption regarding the environment, and ethanol fuels etc. his car’s engine is powered by 85% ethanol fuel, he says that it’s saving him money in the long run-petrol being so expensive, and canola being so cheap!
His speech was not only informative, but well delivered, and funny too!! The questions he got were so good that he kept on making Dorothy Dix jokes.
After Debnam finished speaking I went into the foyer, wrote a postcard to W.S… (I wonder if he even reads them-probably not) sent it quite from a post box not far from Homebush Train station (I had quite a lot of difficulty explaining to the Hotel Staff what I was looking for-how hard can it be to find a bloody post box???) the postcard actually showed a picture of the train station from which I sent it! How fun. I love postcards. I wish more people would send them to me.
When I came back to the conference room, the meeting was petering out into boring debates, so Dad and I decided to go.
I told Dad I how surprised I had been by how interesting the meeting had been, he said that of course ‘nothing could be more interesting than how a country is run’. On the way home he advised me to start keeping a journal, I have decided to run a blog instead
We arrived home at around 7:45 pm and I begun writing this almost immediately.
See you later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home